Here's a new illustration I call Wild West Parade. Below are close-ups and photos of the process.
This is my line drawing, I transferred it onto watercolor paper to paint the final.
I setup a small model for lighting reference. Building the characters on push pins allowed me to easily reposition them on the foam board base.
To approximate a campfire, I whittled down a small tealight and wrapped the base in aluminum foil. The Sculpty hot dogs got too close and burned, but I lucked out and nothing else caught on fire.
I tried a few different color studies, I chose the layout that had white space in order to display the characters clearly.
I separated the elements and painted them on watercolor paper with acrylic paint. Then I scanned them and arranged them in Photoshop. This method allowed me flexibility to make changes quickly.
Thanks for visiting, happy trails!